The Garlic Mustard Challenge is as exciting as ever as we enter the final month! For those in the southern area of the challenge, you have even less time as you should stop pulling before the seed pods start bursting open. However, it does appear that you still have some time to work on your “rocket boost” and your “bitter boost” by pulling and reporting dames rocket and bittercress. Let’s see how high we can get our total pounds up to for 2012!
We have now collectively pulled and reported 265,562 pounds of garlic mustard, dames rocket, and bittercress!
Keep reading to see how many garlic mustard free sites we have and to see how your cluster is doing in the challenge to bring home the cluster cup!
GARLIC MUSTARD FREE SITES
We now have 9 Garlic Mustard Free Sites! We are nearly halfway to our goal of 20 and I’m confident that there are more out there. Remember, in order to be garlic mustard free, your site just needs to be free of all second year plants regardless of which eradication method you used. This is the chance for all of you that are herbiciding, torching, burning or just don’t have garlic mustard to get your name on the charts!
- Mid-Michigan has three Garlic Mustard Free Sites: Sanford Wood, The Wild Ginger Wetland in Lake Lansing Park North, and Lake Drive around Lake Lansing.
- Lakeplain Cluster has two Garlic Mustard Free Sites: Robbe Farm Floodplain Forest at Lower Huron Metropark and Bobwhite Trail Forest at Lower Huron Metropark
- Headwaters Cluster has two Garlic Mustard Free Sties: Hickory Ridge Woodland at Kensington Metropark and North Windfall Hill Woodland at Kensington Metropark
- West Michigan Cluster has one Garlic Mustard Free Site: Barbara Olson’s 72 Acre neighborhood
- Huron Arbor has one Garlic Mustard Free Site: Entrance Woods Floodplain Forest at Hudson Mills Metropark
HEAVY WEIGHT DIVISION
West Michigan Cluster is now dominating this division by increasing their lead from 10,000 pounds to nearly 14,000 pounds thanks to a couple of big pulls from Ada Township Parks and Marigold Woods Homeowner Association (read the last blog post for more inf on that)! Huron Arbor Cluster has a lot of work to do if they are going to win the cluster cup this year.
MIDDLE WEIGHT DIVISION
Headwaters Cluster got down to business this week and decided they weren’t going to be in second place any longer! Way to go!!!
LIGHT WEIGHT DIVISION
Things continue to be very exiting in the Light Weight Division! This week Northern Indian Emerging Cluster nearly caught up thanks to a big pull throughout Elkhart County. Watch out Lakeplain and Raisin Clusters, Northern Indiana is in it to win it!
RRIP-IT-UP is on a roll! They take a bigger and bigger lead each week. Keep up the great work!!!
Now for your final reminders:
- Be sure to label your trash bags as “Invasive Species” when setting them out for curbside pickup.
- Help us to achieve our goal of 20 garlic mustard free sites by emailing email@example.com to report your sites.
- Click the green button on the top right corner of this page to report your pulls.
- Encourage all of your friends, family, neighbors, and peer organizations to pull their garlic mustard and take part in the challenge!