With just two weeks left in the Garlic Mustard Challenge, the reports of garlic mustard, dames rocket, and bittercress have been “piling up”. This week brings a big upset in one of our Cluster Cup Challenges and another big milestone in collectively pulled pounds. We have now collectively pulled and reported an astounding 304,537 pounds!
Keep reading to see how many garlic mustard free sites we have and to see how your cluster is doing in the challenge to bring home the Cluster Cup!
GARLIC MUSTARD FREE SITES
We are still celebrating the 9 Garlic Mustard Free Sites, but would love to include your site in this count! Our goal is to get to 20 Garlic Mustard Free Sites. All you have to do to join the list below is to have no second year plants on the property. It doesn’t matter which eradication method you used so this is the chance for all of you that are herbiciding, torching, burning or just don’t have garlic mustard to get your name on the charts!
- Mid-Michigan has three Garlic Mustard Free Sites: Sanford Wood, The Wild Ginger Wetland in Lake Lansing Park North, and Lake Drive around Lake Lansing.
- Lakeplain Cluster has two Garlic Mustard Free Sites: Robbe Farm Floodplain Forest at Lower Huron Metropark and Bobwhite Trail Forest at Lower Huron Metropark
- Headwaters Cluster has two Garlic Mustard Free Sties: Hickory Ridge Woodland at Kensington Metropark and North Windfall Hill Woodland at Kensington Metropark
- West Michigan Cluster has one Garlic Mustard Free Site: Barbara Olson’s 72 Acre neighborhood
- Huron Arbor has one Garlic Mustard Free Site: Entrance Woods Floodplain Forest at Hudson Mills Metropark
HEAVY WEIGHT DIVISION
Huron Arbor Cluster has finally taken the lead after spending nearly the entire challenge lagging behind West Michigan Cluster! With the garlic mustard going to seed in the southern part of the state, will West Michigan be able to make a comeback by pulling dames rocket and bittercress or has Huron Arbor secured the win? Stay tuned to watch the heavy weights battle it out in the final weeks!
MIDDLE WEIGHT DIVISION
This week saw Mid-Michigan Cluster making another push to catch up with Headwaters Cluster, but Headwaters refuses to give up their lead!
LIGHT WEIGHT DIVISION
Things are getting closer and closer by the week! Is two more weeks enough time for Raisin Cluster to overtake Lakeplain Cluster? Are the folks in Northern Indiana Emerging Cluster planning on making a last minute come from behind? With things this close, anything can happen!
Even though they are new to the Garlic Mustard Challenge, RRIP-IT-UP sure knows how to play this game! They continue to keep a firm hold on their lead in this division.
Just a few final reminders:
- If your garlic mustard is dropping seeds, switch your efforts to bittercress and dames rocket and report those too!
- Please stop pulling garlic mustard before the seed pods are bursting open and stay away from it once they do!
- Be sure to label your trash bags as “Invasive Species” when setting them out for curbside pickup.
- Help us to achieve our goal of 20 garlic mustard free sites by emailing email@example.com to report your sites.
- Click the green button on the top right corner of this page to report your pulls.
- Encourage all of your friends, family, neighbors, and peer organizations to pull their garlic mustard and take part in the challenge!